Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Boolprop Cult: Part I of A Week Long Study of the Sims

Sims: An Introduction






I have a certain obsession with all old things "Sim", not the new and unimproved Sims.
 I hate "Sims 3", for four reasons 1) it's mainstream and not interesting to me, I am a cult follower after all  2) I got the shit scared out of me when I was playing the game at two in the morning, on a Sims binge, when my Sim went invisible but quickly came back and was hollow 3) You have so many awesome places you can go in the Sims 3 like the stadium, science lab, art school and you can't even go inside. 4) I can't have more than one Sims family at a time. I want them to be under my control, not walking around town engaging in Simly things without discretion.

I love the Sims 2 and even more so, the Sims 1, or quite specifically The Sims.
I know the content is outdated, and the graphics are Nintendo 64 quality at best, but there is something so pleasing about the original bizarre almost reality.

When I first played the Sims 1 I was about eleven or twelve years old.  I bought it because it looked cool. I didn't know Sims could die.  So it came as a surprise when Mr. Newbie died.  He died tragically in a cooking accident with the grill. He first set most of the house on fire then himself, all by his own stupidity.

This untimely death deterred me from playing the game a while, but not forever. When I reached middle school I started playing, all the time.  That was with no expansion packs though.  When I finally realized there were expansion packs I lived my weekends with the Sims.

My experience of living through the Sims vicariously is not a solitary experience.  To be a true cult follower you must think like a Sim; be a Sim.   If you were a Sim wouldn't you like to get to career track level ten, become a celebrity, max out your physical skills, have a hundred townie friends? Being a Sim you have unlimited possibilities.  You can change your career from astronaut one day to roadie the next.  You can go on a vacation without any vacation time.  You can do impossible human things like meet the grim reaper, become a witch with magic, have a robot maid and be brought back from the dead.  You'll never grow old.  Your kids will always be kids.  You will never encounter a day of bad weather.

With the game The Sims you are a God and a single being at once. Some things may not be fixable or logical, but it's a reality and experience that is delightfully satisfying as well as truly cult worthy.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm..you know, I've never played Sims before but I've seen it in movies :-). It looks so fun but I have no interest in videogames, except solitarie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for the follow x x x

    www.thefashionturd.com

    ReplyDelete